Cosmetics are used on the body for cleansing, beautifying, or altering the appearance & enhancing attractive features. These are used to change the look of the person.
As health awareness is growing, cosmetics are available in different forms like organic, mineral or environment-friendly cosmetics.
History of cosmetics:
'Cosmetic' word is derived from the Greek word 'Kosmos' meaning adorn or arrange. In Egypt, cosmetics were a part of health & hygiene. These were used to protect the skin from the dry wind & the sun. Natural ingredients were used in religious rituals.
Traditionally, make-up was used by women but now men are using. Their number is increasing day by day. Cosmetic brands are now releasing products for men also.
The healing abilities of the scented oils were discover 12 thousand years ago by the Egyptians. After that, the cosmetic industry became part of their religion. People used to honor gods with the large use of cosmetics. Sometimes the ingredients became poisonous then also the allure of cosmetics did not lessen.
What cosmetics contain ?
There are many kinds of cosmetic products in the market & every cosmetic has a different combination of ingredients. Every product contains 15-50 ingredients. Average women use 8-15 personal care products daily. Let's have a look at some of the ingredients:
- Water: If products come in a bottle then its first ingredient will be water. Water is the base of almost every type of cosmetics i.e. creams, lotions, shampoos & conditioners. Water is an important part while manufacturing cosmetics. Water must be pure; it should not contain microbes, toxins & other pollutants.
- Emulsifiers: Emulsifiers means any ingredient that helps to keep unlike substances (oil & water) from separating. Cosmetics are based on emulsions. It produces homogeneous & well-mixed product with perfect texture. These are used in creams.
- Preservatives: These are important ingredients. These are added to the cosmetics to extend the shelf-life & to prevent the growth of microorganisms. If you purchase 'preservative-free' products then you should know that these products have shorter life.
- Thickeners: Thickening agents give consistency to the products. They come from different families:
- Lipid thickeners are solid at room temperature but they are liquefied for using in cosmetics. These provide natural thickness to the formulas.
- Natural thickeners absorb water that increases the viscosity of a product. It is too thick that can be diluted with solvents.
- Mineral thickeners are also natural; they absorb water & oils to increase viscosity. Magnesium aluminum silicate, silica & bentonite are the popular mineral thickeners.
- Emollient: These soften the skin as they prevent water loss; used in cosmetics & lotions.
cosmetics are made with natural oils & ingredients. Let's know about some of the ingredients:
- Natural: Homemade & organic products are becoming the priority of consumers. These don't harm the skin.
- Mineral: 'Mineral makeup' comes in the face makeup category. These powders are mixed with oil or water. Liquid makeup contains preservatives & compressed makeups. This makeup doesn't contain synthetic fragrances or parabens.
- Porous minerals: It is a subcategory of mineral makeup ingredients. It has extraordinary absorption capacity compare to non-porous mineral materials. It has sebum control or gives matte texture.
- Skin Care Products: Skincare products are also included in the cosmetic category. Creams & lotions that formulate different types of skin. Every skin needs different types of products that maintain healthy & attractive skin.
There are different types of skin:
- Normal skin: This skin has fine, smooth & even surface as it balances the oil & moisture that's why it is neither greasy nor dry. This skin needs less & gentle treatment.
- Dry skin: It has parched appearance & sheds easily. This skin is prone to wrinkles & lines as it is not able to retain moisture. In the winters, this skin dries up easily. Moisturizer protects the skin from getting dry & provides moisture to the skin.
- Oily skin: This skin is slightly greasy that is caused by the over secretion of sebum. Dirt & dust get to settle on the skin due to the excess oil. Blackheads, whiteheads, pimples & spots are close to the oily skin. These should be cleaned every day.
- Combination skin: This type of skin is very common. Central panel also called T-zone, nose, chin & forehead are the oily skin parts. Cheek, mouth & around the eyes is the dry skin. Every part should be cleaned accordingly.
- Sensitive skin: It has a fine texture & can change according to the climate. This skin is very irritating, scarred or bruised from waxing, threading, perfumes, soaps, shaving creams & more.
- Cosmetic industry: The cosmetic industry is developing continuously; it very shocking that this industry is developing fast as compared to internet companies. Cosmetic companies are selling their products online, in this way they are covering every corner of the world.
This industry is goal-oriented as they target the consumer & provide products accordingly.
- Never share your makeup.
- Keep makeup out of the heat & sun as they can kill the preservatives that fight bacteria.
- Don't use makeup if you have an eye infection