Butters is derived from the extracts of the natural sources like seeds/kernels, nuts & beans. These are thicker as compared to the creams & lotions as they don’t have any water. They have a solid consistency even at room temperature as they have fatty acids.
- Butters is derived from the extracted from the natural sources i.e. beans, nuts, kernels & seeds.
- These are thicker than lotions & creams as they don’t contain water. They remain solid consistency at room temperature.
- These are added to natural product formulations.
- Its quality can be identified by the aroma, method of extraction, consistency, and rate of absorption, natural fatty acids, and sun protection factor (SPF), among other characteristics.
What are butters?
Natural butter is derived from the extracts of the natural sources i.e. seeds/kernels, beans & nuts. These can be used directly or after being incorporated into the spa, cosmetic or massages. It melts when it comes in contact with the body heat; it adds softness & smoothness to the skin & hair to relieve dryness, roughness, breakage & irritation.
Visit product page natural butters is a well-established manufacturer, supplier and exporter.
These are made of active ingredients, fatty acids, solids & semi-solid fat oils. Every oil has unique anti-inflammatory, moisturizing & antioxidant properties. It is added to natural products for formulation & emulsions.
Composition of Butters:
Essential fatty acids (Oleic, Palmoic & stearic), vitamins, proteins, minerals, antioxidants, polyphenols, phytosterols & tocopherol are the constituents.
Essential fatty acids:
- Produce and maintain the skin’s natural oil barrier
- Hydrate skin to promote a supple, youthful appearance
- Nourish cells and eliminate bodily toxins
- Protect skin by creating an antimicrobial barrier against harsh environmental elements
- Moisturize skin to prevent the premature signs of aging
- Reduce water loss through the skin’s surface
- Enhance the texture and softness of skin and hair
- Exhibit anti-aging properties
- Enhance texture and tone
- Fade and minimize the appearance of wrinkles and dark spots, such as under-eye ircles
- Smooth roughness
- Strengthen and tighten the skin’s protective outer layer to lock in moisture and protect against irritants
- Protect against the harsh effects of UV radiation, such as redness, swelling, and dryness
- Nourish and thicken hair
- Reduce inflammation of the scalp, thereby preventing hair loss
- Repair and generate new tissues and cells
- Slow the onset of the premature signs of aging, such as wrinkles and thinning hair
- Contribute to the body’s immunity and the strength and development of muscles
- Protect against the stresses and harsh effects of environmental elements
- Promote exfoliation
- Balance and regulate oil production and moisture levels, especially for oily and sensitive skin and hair
- Exhibit antioxidant properties
- Tighten and smooth for a youthful appearance
- Promote the growth of stronger hair that is thicker, hydrated, and lustrous
- Boost circulation as well as cell metabolism, thereby calming inflammation
- Tighten and tone the skin to prevent the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, and scars
- Plump out skin to smooth the look of fine lines and to blend in the newly developed skin
- Improve the health of damaged skin by encouraging the growth of new cells for a rejuvenated look
- Strengthen hair and maintain its health to prevent hair loss
- Exhibit antioxidant activity
- Increase hair growth
- Show anti-aging properties, especially by reducing the effects of UV-related damage
- Exhibit photo protective properties that help guard against UV radiation, harmful bacteria, oxidative stress, and harsh environmental conditions
- Facilitate the renewal of skin cells
- Prevent the breakdown of collagen, thereby restoring skin elasticity
- Increase moisture levels for smoother skin and hair
- Maintain cell structure, repair skin, and promote cell regeneration
- Facilitate healing of dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, scars, sunburn, wind chapping, and wounds
- Exhibit photoprotective properties / reduce photosensitivity
- Facilitate skin cell metabolism and collagen production
- Exhibit anti-inflammatory properties
- Prevent itching and irritation
- Boost immunity
- Reduce hair loss and increase hair growth
- Protect skin and hair against pollutants and harmful UV radiation
- Tighten skin for a firmer look that diminishes signs of aging
- Show natural preservative properties in skincare cosmetics and formulations
- Moisturize and condition
- Exhibit anti-inflammatory activity, which slows the look of aging
- Facilitate the faster healing of wounds
Extraction of Butters:
Natural butter is the blends of different oils; these are made from seeds/kernels, nuts or beans. Minerals & oils are the two main components of a butter; minerals are from the natural ingredients & oils carry the minerals to the area of applications. It is a combination of the minerals & oils that form a barrier against harsh factors. Butters don’t have water. Butters with water are known as lotions. Its texture can vary from the soft & whipped to hard & solid.
Quality of Butters:
Organic butter should be of the highest quality but these can go rancid. Its quality can be identified by the aroma, method of extraction, consistency, and rate of absorption, natural fatty acids, and sun protection factor (SPF), among other characteristics.
These are generally odorless or have mild or distinctive aroma; these can be the nutty, sweet or original smell of the plant material.
- Method of Extraction:
Raw, organic & unrefined butter is the best for using in natural products. Unrefined butters are filtered to eliminate the dust or small particles; these don’t compromise with the nutrients, vitamins & fatty acids of the oils. Cosmetic formulations need odorless butter that’s why refined or deodorized butter is used.
- Consistency & Absorption:
The consistency of the butter can differ; it can be hard or soft (thick or thin). It is a matter of personal choice. The consistency depends on the intention of using the butter. A light-quality butter with fast absorption &no greasy residue is a high-quality butter for oily skin & hair as it pierces into the skin without clogging the pores. A rich, thick, deeply moisturizing butter is made of better quality & it treats dry & damaged skin or hair.
- Natural Fatty acids & Tocopherols:
Butters have restorative & beneficial fatty acids that make butter moisturizing & nourishing. These make butter regenerative & stimulating; it makes skin & hair look & feels younger and fresher. Tocopherols are natural preservative. Many butters have high nutrient content.
- Sun protection factor (SPF):
Some butters have components like minerals that protect from the UVB radiation. These prevent rays from burning the skin. When the skin gets damaged by the overexposure of the sun it leads to premature signs of aging, fine lines, dark spots & wrinkles. It should not be used as a replacement for other sun-protective agents.
Butters are rich in unsaturated fatty acids that have short shelf life & last up to 6 months whereas longer shelf life of butter is at least 1-2 years. Natural butter can be stored like carrier oils. Butter should be stored in the airtight container in a cool & dark place to maintain the butter quality & maximize the shelf life.
Types of Butter:
Butters can be categorized by their solidity that ranges from hard to soft:
Uses & Benefits:
- Butters are used in wound healing, massage, softening & moisturizing.
- These can be applied directly to the skin or in blends for dryness, wrinkles, blemishes & more.
- These promote skin & hair health as they have regenerative & rejuvenating properties.
- It can be used at night as it penetrates the skin more effectively.
- These melt on the skin easily & can be absorbed quickly.
- These can be added to the formulation of the moisturizers.
Guide for using Butters:
Butters can be used in many ways. Given below is the table that highlights the benefits & uses:
|Nut Butter||Hydrate thirsty skin Reduce the appearance of blemishes, scars, and cellulite Soothe acne, eczema, insect bites, sunburn, frostbite Soften and smooth the skin Condition hair to leave it soft and lustrous Ideal for any skin type Boost skin’s collagen production and elasticity Ideal for use in face masks Ideal for use on any skin type Have a wide range of uses, including skin care, dry rash care, massage creams, and sun protection||Shea|
|Seed Butter/Kernel||Moisturizing without being greasy Promote the look of plump and firm skin Facilitate the regeneration of skin Rejuvenate the skin by reducing the signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines Ideal for use on dry, itchy, flaky skin Offer skin protection against the harsh effects of environmental elements such as UV radiation Soothe skin afflicted with irritation caused by bites, stings, blisters, and rashes Have antioxidant effects Balance skin’s oil production Stimulate hair growth Ideal for use on all skin types, especially oily skin||Mango Babassu – Refined Kokum Ucuuba Cupuacu Murumuru Sal Seed Tucuma|
|Bean Butter||Nourish, soften, and moisturize skinReduce discoloration and even out skin toneProtect skin against the harsh effects of environmental elements||Cocoa Soy|
|ABSORPTION RATE||SKIN FEELS||BUTTERS|
|Fast||Are light, soft and quickly absorbed by skin but leave a
smooth, silky finish.Skin will feel moisturized rather than greasy.These butters are ideal for use as/in cleansers.
|Kokum – RefinedCocoaCocoa OrganicCupuacu – Ultra RefinedShea – Crude (Ghana)Shea – Crude (Ghana) OrganicShea Organic – Refined (GhanaShea – Refined – Deodorized (Ghana)Shea – Ultra RefinedTucuma – Refined|
|Average||Leave a silky feeling on the skin||Mango – Ultra Refined Soy Cocoa – Ultra Refined – Deodorized Murumuru – Refined Sal Seed|
|Slow||Tend to feel heavy on the skin. They may leave a thick and oily moisturizing barrier on the skin Some may leave the skin feeling velvety without the greasy residue (e.g. Babassu, Shea)||Cocoa – Pure Prime Pressed – Crude Babassu – Refined Shea Ucuuba|
Where to Buy Butters:
- These butter should not be ingested & stored away from children.
- Do the patch test before using it.
- These can have side effects on sensitive skin.
- These have a higher risk of allergies.
- Consult doctor before use, if pregnant or breast-feeding.